Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Macy's Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

From September 15th-October 15th, Macy's Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month. I've never heard of this, never saw an ad or commercial, never saw it on the Macy's homepage or received an email...It wasn't until I was flipping through my Latina Magazine and spotted an ad featuring superstar Thalia that I learned of this event celebrating my heritage.


(image from Macys.com)

My father was born in El Salvador and my mother is a proud New Yorican. My siblings and I were born and raised in the United States and although I don't speak Spanish fluently the Latin culture is strongly prevalent in my life. I love the rich savory flavors of ropa vieja and carne guisada followed by some refreshing limber de coco (similar to a coconut popcicle). I grew up with these flavors permeating my home, bachata and salsa music filtering its way through each room as we watched cartoons and laughing at the ever so popular series Sabado Gigante (even though we had no idea what they were saying).

Being Hispanic was more than just a bubble we colored in while filling out paperwork. It was the very essence of a people that had fought long and hard to be heard, to be seen, to be respected. Now-a-days you can see Hispanic actors, singers, producers, musicians, artists of all kinds everywhere--or so it seems. We have so many talented role models we can relate to from Jennifer Lopez and Shakira to Demi Lovato, Eva Longoria and Sofia Vergara. Can we really 'relate' to these stars? Well maybe not exactly, but the pride we possess in our shared heritage makes their successes feel like our successes.

I love reading about strong Latina women advancing in their careers, overcoming seemingly impossible odds, contributing to their communities. I love seeing the various skin tones and body shapes on the fashion pages, figures I can actually relate to.

Being Hispanic is more than a title. We come in all shapes and sizes. Tall, short, blonde and blue eyed, ebony with chocolate brown eyes. In college, everyone thought I was exotic looking which never made sense to me. Looking back, I see that exotic really just meant looking or being something different than the mainstream. Which is fine by me. Different is good. Different is beautiful.

This month, and every month, embrace your heritage regardless of what it is. You can be Colombian, Irish, Iranian or Alaskan. Every color, every shape is beautiful. Vow to at least for one month, cherish what and who you are. No excuses, no apologies. 

We are all gorgeous and should live life like we know it!!!




XoXo,
            A




Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment